BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

Latest Artist News
7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Schizophonic', 1999 • 1st Album / 25 years of Mi Chico Latino
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post 24th July 2024, 02:41 PM
Post #121
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

All credit to Geri, it was an excellent way to start her solo career. An attention grabbing, bolshy song which was very 'Ginger' and fit into her trademark pop persona perfectly. It was such an interesting song to start out with and then the video - she knew exactly what she was doing.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 24th July 2024, 02:48 PM
Post #122
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

It's great to see Jade praise Look at Me! (As an aside, she has a lot of admiration/respect for 90s/00s pop - she's one of us!).

Whether Look at Me is to your taste or not (and it is to my taste!), I agree that the boldness of it as a debut single has to be commended/respected. It was definitely a statement and not playing it safe (and a lot of group-members-turned-solo-artists do play it pretty safe). It was the perfect choice for Geri who was a larger than life personality, it just worked well. It's a pity that the perception of it entering at #2 was almost as if it was a false start for her, when really it was a triumph!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 13th August 2024, 10:20 PM
Post #123
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

From PopJustice:

That was applied for and immediately denied. It was never approved – I just mentioned it because fans had been begging Warner/Parlophone to do something with it and were frustrated. I felt they should know that it was Geri, not the label, keeping a reissue from happening.

We put together a whole presentation for the project: A clamshell 5-CD box with the B-sides and tons of remixes, including many that were vinyl- or promo-only. Also, two cassette variants ('Angelic White' and 'Devilish Red' with their respective covers), a split Angelic White/Devilish Red vinyl with a reversible gatefold, two t-shirts, and a sticker sheet..

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th August 2024, 01:42 PM
Post #124
Group icon

That's very frustrating sad.gif I don't understand what she'd have against that.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th August 2024, 03:22 PM
Post #125
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

She is a strange one when it comes to her music. She was also offered a Greatest Hits package by her record label after Passion bombed but she rejected that too. Then she allowed the cheap Playlist GH on itunes several years later but won't allow the Schizophonic release. She spends years working on music creating at least 2 albums that we know of and then abandons them.

Her career gives the impression she is quite a fickle person though as she jumps from one thing to another.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th August 2024, 07:45 AM
Post #126
Group icon

25 years ago today, Geri released Mi Chico Latino! Her first UK #1 single as a solo artist, and certified Gold for 400,000+ sales in 2022.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th August 2024, 11:30 AM
Post #127
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Mr.X @ 13th August 2024, 11:20 PM) *
From PopJustice:

That was applied for and immediately denied. It was never approved – I just mentioned it because fans had been begging Warner/Parlophone to do something with it and were frustrated. I felt they should know that it was Geri, not the label, keeping a reissue from happening.

We put together a whole presentation for the project: A clamshell 5-CD box with the B-sides and tons of remixes, including many that were vinyl- or promo-only. Also, two cassette variants ('Angelic White' and 'Devilish Red' with their respective covers), a split Angelic White/Devilish Red vinyl with a reversible gatefold, two t-shirts, and a sticker sheet..

God, she really is annoying.
Reason for edit: Toned down the language

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 16th August 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #128
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

She is getting roasted these days across various forums for blocking everything - both group related stuff and also her own... Fans on PopJustice have even revived some of her quotes from that awful, awful Spectator interview...

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 16th August 2024, 07:26 PM
Post #129
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

I think Melanie C is the only one really into music. I think Geri was hungry for fame first of all and music was her way back then.

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 21st August 2024, 12:57 AM
Post #130
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

QUOTE(Mr.X @ 13th August 2024, 10:20 PM) *
From PopJustice:

Dame ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st August 2024, 09:50 AM
Post #131
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Babyboy @ 16th August 2024, 08:26 PM) *
I think Melanie C is the only one really into music. I think Geri was hungry for fame first of all and music was her way back then.

100%

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 7th September 2024, 04:17 AM
Post #132
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

QUOTE(Mr.X @ 13th August 2024, 10:20 PM) *
From PopJustice:

That sounds so impressive. Can only think had of it gone ahead it would’ve paved the way for Scream If You Wanna Go Faster to get the same treatment.

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 16th September 2024, 10:59 PM
Post #133
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(Babyboy @ 16th August 2024, 08:26 PM) *

Id have to agree with you on that and as the years have gone on we can still see Mel C is only one of them who has continued to stay in the music business.

+Quote this post
Hollowpeen
post 19th September 2024, 01:40 PM
Post #134
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(spiceboy @ 24th July 2024, 03:41 PM) *
All credit to Geri, it was an excellent way to start her solo career. An attention grabbing, bolshy song which was very 'Ginger' and fit into her trademark pop persona perfectly. It was such an interesting song to start out with and then the video - she knew exactly what she was doing.

And then, she fired her ENTIRE TEAM!!!! when it entwred at no.2.

QUOTE(spiceboy @ 15th August 2024, 04:22 PM) *
She is a strange one when it comes to her music. She was also offered a Greatest Hits package by her record label after Passion bombed but she rejected that too. Then she allowed the cheap Playlist GH on itunes several years later but won't allow the Schizophonic release. She spends years working on music creating at least 2 albums that we know of and then abandons them.

Her career gives the impression she is quite a fickle person though as she jumps from one thing to another.

This.

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ 16th August 2024, 12:30 PM) *
God, she really is annoying.

She's Shakespeare these days, didn't you know?!
Reason for edit: Toned down the language

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 19th October 2024, 06:46 PM